Monday, December 5, 2011

Christians vs Gays

Today I read where a teenager, who is gay, said the following, "...I know that God hates me..."
As a Christian, when I read that, my heart sunk.  When did we as Christians fail a whole group of people?  When did we think it was right to tell them that God hates them and their "lifestyle"?  When did we as Christians go from the Great Commission to passing God's judgement onto a people?

I know what Romans says.  It was written by Paul to the Church of the Romans.  I am not here to argue that.  I am not here to argue that the Bible never condemns a monogamous same sex relationship.  I am here to say that as Christians, we have failed to tell a group of people that God loves them.  We are too busy pointing out what the Bible says that we have failed to point out what the Bible says...yes I meant that.

We need to look and see how the Son of God lived His life on this earth.  He ate with the publicans and sinners.  That was the biggest criticism that the ruling religious body of the time had against Jesus.  Jesus chose to hang out with them to tell them of God's love.  John 3:17 says, "God sent not His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved."  So God's sole purpose of sending His beloved Son into the world was so that they could be saved.

Christians today seem to have forgotten that Matthew 28:19 &20 says Go and Teach ... not go and judge.  They seem to have forgotten that God calls lying an abomination.  They seem to have forgotten that the reason Christians are left on this Earth and not taken to Heaven immediately after conversion is to tell others of Jesus' love, death, burial and resurrection.

My wife and I signed our son up for the Baptist Church Preschool.  Why?  Because we wanted him to learn about Jesus dying on the cross to save him from his sin.  We wanted him to learn about the Almighty sending His Son.  We received a letter stating that the preschool had nothing to offer our son.  We have reason to believe that the reason why is because we told them we are a lesbian couple.  Not one time did any of those people offer to us the Gospel.  The Good News of the Saviour.  

I am a Christian.  I am a lesbian.  There is no conflict.  I have the peace which passes all understanding and the knowledge that "God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

One more observation/question:  When is the last time, as a Christian, you have picked up your Bible and read it...outside of Church.  When is the last time you actually prayed for the salvation of the Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered people?  When is the last time you thought to actually study what the Bible really says about it with a prayerful attitude?



No comments:

Post a Comment