Sunday, March 6, 2011

Ruth and Naomi

Ruth 1:16 and 17 (King James Version)

16 And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God:
17 Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the LORD do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me.


These are the words of a woman, Ruth. She is speaking to another woman, Naomi. These words are used a lot in heterosexual weddings because there is no mistaking their meaning. In verse 16 we learn the following:

1. Don’t ask me to leave you.
2. Where ever you go, that is where I am going
3. Where you live is where I am going to live
4. Your people are now my family
5. Your deepest beliefs on God and religion are now mine

But in verse 17 she even goes further. Ruth has already said beautiful words to Naomi, but now she wants to cement what she means and here is where she tells Naomi that where ever you are is “home”.

6. Where you die I am going to die
7. And there will I be buried.

Why is this so important? Ruth was telling Naomi we are together now in life and they would be buried together in the family graveyard. Without a doubt, this is a love story.

Eleven years ago, I got down on my knees and pledged my heart to my Sweet Love with the words of Ruth. She spoke the same back to me. There was no big band, there was no ceremony. We pledged out love to each other before each other and before God Almighty.

As a same sex couple we are in a huge fight to try and get the Defense of Marriage Act repealed. We are trying as a bi-national couple to get the Uniting American Families Act passed in Congress.

We don’t want to challenge anyone's beliefs. We don’t want special treatment. All my love and I want is to be able to live together as wife and wife.

Those who choose to stand in our way; I ask you am I a threat to your way of life? Am I a threat to your marriage? Do you even know me or my name? Exactly! Me marrying the person of my dreams will have zero effect on your “traditional” marriage.

A friend of mine posted this on face book and I told her I was going to use it in my blog:

So let me get this straight...Kelsey Grammer can end a 15 yr marriage by phone, Larry King can be on divorce #9, Britney Spears had a 55 hour marriage, Jesse James and Tiger Woods (while married) were having sex with EVERYONE, 53% of Americans get divorced and 30-60% cheat on their spouses. Yet, same-sex marriage is going to destroy the institution of marriage? Really


We just want the right to be able to be free in the land of the free. We want the right to pursue our happiness in America where this is an unalienable right.
This is the story of Naomi and Ruth. This is undeniably a love story between two women.

No comments:

Post a Comment