Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Ninety-six percent of the USA People are Ignorant About Immigration

Ninety-six percent of the American people are sadly ignorant or misinformed about immigration and unfortunately that includes Congress.  If you ask the public what does one have to do to immigrate to the United States, they really do not know.  For those who actually do know, these people have been affected directly by the immigration system or are immigration lawyers.

I have been petitioning Congress on a daily basis through twitter and have gotten a few responses.  When I ask Congress to support the Uniting American Families Act, I have been told they don't support it because they are for traditional marriage.  The Uniting American Families Act has nothing to do with marriage.  It is about me being able to sponsor my same sex partner for immigration.  It is about putting families back together.  It is about giving homosexuals the right to live in their own country with the person they love.

I have seen that people already think that the homosexual community has equal rights and they feel that we are asking for special treatment.  I was flabbergasted that anyone could say that we have the same rights.  Heterosexual people can get married just about anywhere in the world and the Federal government will recognize that they are married.  I can get married in a state that allows same sex marriage and the Federal government will not recognize it at all.  As a matter of fact, I can go to the next state and my marriage does not exist.

I believe that before one starts making judgment calls on the Uniting American Families Act, they are in serious need of education.  I was told that before we pass any "amnesty" acts, we need to secure our borders.  The Uniting American Families Act is not an amnesty bill.  Secure our borders.  Heck, yes!  Build a wall if you want to.  I am an American citizen.  I love the United States of America.  I am only asking that the person with whom I fell in love be allowed to immigrate to the United States of America.  I am not asking for special favors.  I am not asking for special treatment.  I am only asking that we pass the Uniting American Families Act.

What good is it to keep us apart.  I was born in the United States of America.  I am just wanting to stay here, rear my children with my spouse.  I have been told that maybe I need to move to my spouse's country.  I have been at my job for 20 years.  I own a house.  Our boys do not speak the language of my spouses country.  I do not speak the language of my spouses country.  I am a productive member of society.  I have been told I can just leave...and do what?  Go on welfare in my spouses country?  Become a burden to their society?  I would have to learn the language and then find a new line of work as they do not have Respiratory Therapists in her country.

Pass the Uniting American Families Act.  Please end this grave injustice being done to American citizens and their partners.  It is wrong that we cannot live in the country of our choice with the person of our choice because we are of the same sex.  It is evil and it is a horrible and grave punishment to those who have done nothing wrong.

So before we listen to people making flippant comments.  Please remember that most of them are just regurgitating ignorance of a system they know very little... if anything...about.  We are Americans.  We don't want special treatment, however, equal treatment would be nice.

Please, let's get the Uniting American Families Act Passed!

No comments:

Post a Comment