Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy July 4th..... Land of the Cruel and Unequal

Let me say, first of all, that I love the United States of America. There is no greater country in the entire world. I am so proud to be an American. I will never take for granted that freedoms that we have and the price that has been paid for our freedoms.

My friend lost a son in Afghanistan, my own father was a World War II veteran. I have always been the most patriotic person. I love America. It breaks my heart and I feel betrayed by my country and my family, that they cannot accept us for who we are; for whom we love.

Governor Scott Walker (Wisconsin) believes a new law that gives gay couples hospital visitation rights violates the state constitution and has asked a judge to allow the state to stop defending it.

What is the point of this cruelty. Who cares if people who love each other visit each other in the hospital. This is nothing but power hungry, power mongering political play and a case of cruelty. I don't know what the point would be to prevent people seeing each other. For those of you who have experienced this type of discrimination and homophobia, I am sorry. I work in a hospital and I have never seen this type of discrimination and cruelty. I wrote a blog entry on how to avoid this type of evil cruelty. How to Bypass Hospital Homophobia/Discrimination

Matthew Shephard Memorial Site states the following.

On October 6, 1998, Matthew was beaten and tied to a fence just outside of Laramie, Wyoming. Yet, this one tragic event shook the nation. It may have been due to the fact that this murder took place in small town America, as well as a college town. Matthew was a student at the University of Wyoming in Laramie. Even now, it is not fully clear what went on that night of October 6, 1998, but it appears to be a combination robbery and gay-bashing. Even though it has been over five years since Matthew's death, violence against gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender as well as toward minorities continues unabated. This being the case, it is important that as many sites such as this be made available to keep the awareness of this serious problem before the public. In election years, it is all the more important that these issues are addressed by our future leaders. Even though Matthew's murder appears to have been motivated in part due to his being gay, this site exists as a resource for all human rights issues, not just those of the LGBT people.
It is my belief that people like Governor Walker probably did not find the torture and death of Matthew Shepherd disturbing, hateful and sad.

A Republican Representative Eric Turner (R-Marion)in the State of Indiana made the comment as he co-sponsored a bill to further discriminate against EQUAL RIGHTS for all Hoosiers, "...it's nothing personal...it's not like this is hurting anyone..."

I beg to differ. Anytime that discrimination is written into the Constitution of any state, there is hurt being done. Our elected leaders cannot be so oblivious to this fact. They truly cannot believe that they are doing no harm to anyone by separating loved ones...please tell me they don't believe that people who are being told that they are second class citizens...please tell me that they don't believe that no harm is being done. Well, maybe they do believe that because they believe that the people being discriminated against are not deserving of a second thought. Maybe they believe that this group of people is undeserving because of who they love.

A lovely website is Top 10 Anti-Gay Activists Caught Being Gay

Just a quick thought on "He who lives in glass house should not throw stones..." and also the wonderful quote from William Shakespeare, " the lady doeth protest too much..."

My own Independent Fundamental Baptist family has now chosen to not have my wife, our boys and I be part of family functions. Upon announcing to my family that my love of 12 years and I were going to travel to the wonderful state of Iowa and get married, I received a type written letter from my two older sisters, their husbands (one of whom is an evangelist who goes around the United States preaching as to why Christians should memorize the Bible), and their adult children. It said that they had many family meetings (Of which I, my wife, or our other adult nephew were not part)and that:

"We have painfully decided as a family that if you follow through on this immoral act, we would be forced to break a lot of family relationships with you. We would have no desire to have you present at our usual family gatherings...This hurts to say this, but you would no longer be welcome in our homes."

They go on to say that the decision is mine. Yeah right. The sad thing is this, they really think that they are showing me "tough love". They really think that before God they are doing the right thing. They have been sadly disillusioned by power hungry, obsessive compulsive, and tyrannic church leadership. I don't know what they want me to do. Do they want me to give up my wife, my sons, my life, my family...that is exactly what they are asking me to do. Amazingly unbelievable isn't it. It is not their job to tell me how to live my life. I have done major research on what he Bible says about Homosexuality and have posted many entries as to my beliefs on what the Bible says. For those of you who are doubting my ability to understand the Bible I wish to tell you that from the 5th grade to graduating from the Independent Fundamental Baptist School and College, I have been in Bible School.

The Bible Says - Homosexuality

Ruth and Naomi

What Other "Abominations" Should We Condemn?

Then there is the Immigration Discrimination Issue

The vast majority of Americans have no clue as to what it takes to immigrate to the United States. Sadly, President Barak Obama made the statement that there are those who have stood inline for legal immigration..." If it were that easy, to just get in a line and get legal immigration, there would be few illegal immigrants....there would be no undocumented. However, for bi-national same sex couples, there is no line in which to stand. Unless our loved ones are rich, or extremely talented (like Sammy Sosa, Celine Dion), can get a job that no American can do, or are oppressed in their country by their government there is no line for binational same sex couples. Please consider my blog entry on how uneducated the regular American person is about immigration.

This fourth of July, let us hope and pray that this is the last one that we will say that there is a group of people in the United States that does not have equal rights. This is after all, the land of the free where all are created equal.

No comments:

Post a Comment